July 29, 2009

Lace Stitch Cardigan in Progress

Everyone who knows me knows that I adore vintage styles. If I could, I would love to travel back in time to the early 1960s when fashion was classy - with simple lines, sleek silhouettes, and fit that flatters every figure. Whenever I go thrifting, I often go through old books and magazines in hopes of finding old knitting and sewing patterns. One of my most recent favorite finds is this 1963 knitting pattern booklet by Spinnerin:


Isn't that fantastic? That might as well be Betty and Sally Draper from Mad Men (if you're not watching, you're totally missing out on one of the best TV shows ever - Season 3 premieres Sunday, August 16th)!

And yes, I got it for one whole dollar.

This booklet has many great patterns that are perfect for an advanced beginner, and all garments are raglan style, so there is no seaming involved (yay!). I decided to try one of the cardigans patterns to make as a gift for my Mom-in-Law.

So. Adorable.

I started a little over a month ago and now I'm down to the last sleeve, then it's button bands, block, sew on buttons, and voila! Here is a quick progress photo from a few weeks ago:

20090620 cardi, take two

I am liking it so much I almost want to keep it for myself =)

No comments: