March 29, 2009

Leafy Lace Cardi


Well, here goes nothing.

This project officially marks my entry into knitting non-raglan style garments. I haven't really felt confident enough to try it because basically, it is much like sewing, where you have several pieces that you construct together by stitching them at the seams. I'm terrible at hand-seaming, but I thought I should just try it just to see what happens.

So far, I am totally loving the yarn I'm using - Optimum DK by South West Trading Company in color Desert. I bought six balls on sale when I went to Unwind in Burbank with my dolly friends Paula and Clarissa. The yarn has been discontinued, so I hope I have enough for the project! If not, I'll have to track some down via Ravelry.

The lace part is going well - after doing four inches of 1x1 ribbing on sz 2 needles it was good to dive right in. The pattern is well-written and I love the leaf shapes! After doing three repeats, I realize that I need to loosen up my stitches because the lace part doesn't look as nice and even as I'd like (I know I always tend to knit too tight), but hopefully it will open up when I block the pieces into shape.

:: :: ::

The Leafy Lace Cardi pattern is available for free via Craftster.

No comments: